Monday, November 23, 2009

Dental Woos

As you can see from my new profile picture on here I have a giant gap in my mouth. It isn’t pretty and I'm very self conscious about it. It’s the whole reason why I’m in braces. I had a baby tooth that never came out. Apparently my parents were aware of it while I was younger but I don’t remember dentists every mentioning it to me and they didn’t do anything to fix it. If they would have taken care of this when I was younger I would have only been in braces for about a year instead of the 2 or more that I was quoted. Well about a year ago this baby tooth of mine became infected and my new dentist said it was time for it to come out and that I would need braces ugh! So they set me up a consult with the Orthodontist (“Ortho”) and off I went. Well the Ortho explained that they would put on the braces and leave a bracket off of the baby tooth so it could be pulled by my dentist. After the dentist pulled the tooth I was referred to an Oral Surgeon (“Oral”) to have my gum cut open and a bracket and chain attached to my adult tooth that was still up in the roof of my mouth.


Well I had all that done and $900.00 later that my insurance didn’t cover my tooth was slowly making its way down. Well the 1st time I had this surgery it was done back in February of 2008, since then I have had it done 4 times (which of course I had to pay for because neither of them would fess up to who's fault it actually was). The bracket kept coming off my tooth for some reason. Well come to find out when the Oral opened up my gum for the fourth time that the Ortho was pulling the tooth into the base of my Lateral Incisor and the tooth was stuck which caused the bracket to pop off within the 2 weeks it was on. Now that the Ortho and Oral have finally communicated, (they haven’t gotten along since the first time my chain popped off and they blamed each other for it) I seem to be back on the right track to getting my impacted canine down and in place. I was quoted this was to take about 2 years and it has been a year already so hopefully in the next 6 months I won’t have this horrible gap anymore and an actual tooth there and have a de-banding date too.  So I'm thinking by the time this is all said and done I will have a $10,000.00 smile if not more lol.

This is a diagram I pulled from Century Orthodontics to give an idea of the process I'm going through.

Impacted Canine Diagram[1]




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave something nice or Ill come after you!